Have you ever had too much coffee in your pot in the morning? Don’t throw it out! Instead, make coffee BBQ sauce out of it!
I like a dark roast for coffee bbq sauce like this one:
Adventurous Coffee Peruvian Dark Roast
You can use any coffee for your coffee BQQ sauce you have leftover. I will include how to steep other stuff in leftover coffee beans to get the most flavor into your bbq sauce!
Coffee is naturally acidic and can replace the vinegar in your bbq sauce recipe. You can find tons of recipes out there that will give you an excellent bbq sauce. However, this recipe is my favorite:
Coffee BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup brewed coffee, espresso preferred
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- Two onion, peeled and chopped, about 1 cup
- Four garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Four tablespoons dark molasses
- Four tablespoons hot, dry mustard, mixed with two tablespoon water
- Four tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Four tablespoons cumin, ground
- Four tablespoons chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Cool the sauce and puree in a blender, food processor, or immersion blender until smooth.
- You can strain the BBQ sauce if you want. I usually don’t bother, but if you want a smooth sauce, you will need to do this step.
- The BBQ sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in a covered container.
I love this BBQ sauce on pulled pork or brisket. If you glaze a brisket for the last 45 minutes, it gets an incredible sticky glaze to it.
Let me know what your favorite bbq recipe is! I am always looking for new recipes to try, especially new ways to use coffee!
Here are a few other recipes to try: