When I first started cooking in my studio apartment five floors above Pasteur Street, I asked my aunt for easy recipes to try.
This pork belly and prawn recipe was my Aunt’s second recommendation for idiot-proof recipes. The first recipe was hard-boiled eggs, in case you’re wondering. Haha!
With a view of Notre Dame from my window, I cooked simple meals in my tiny kitchen of that apartment. This recipe was my favorite from those times.
Tép ram thịt, as its known in Vietnam, is the perfect choice for a week-day dinner – minimal prepping, few steps to remember, and you can put it together in 15 minutes. Throw in a few slices of pineapples or lime leaves in the end; the flavors will shine like the summer sun.
**Note: if you do not know how to find pork belly you can easily substitute thick pieces of pork. Also, prawns can be substituted with shrimp.
Tép ram thịt recipe (Pork Belly and Prawn)
- 16 oz. of fresh prawns
- 16 oz. of pork belly, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ of a pineapple, sliced
- 5 lime leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- A bowl of Steamed Rice
- In a hot pan, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add garlic & shallots. Sauté for 15 seconds.
- Add the pork belly and let it cook until the edges start to turn golden.
- Mix in sugar, mix it evenly with the pork and add the oyster sauce.
- Add the fish sauce to taste. Mix them well with the pork. Cover and let cooks for 10 minutes.
- Add the prawns and pineapples slices.
- Cover and let cook for another five minutes until the prawns are cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice.
A little message from An Nhien:
Xin chào from Saigon, Vietnam! I am an Airbnb Superhost who doubles as a marketing professional from 9 to 5. I enjoy taking care of my guests, experiencing the world through their tales and adventures, and sharing phở or Vietnamese coffee with them.
Link to our website: www.lesoleilbnb.com
My Airbnb profile: https://www.airbnb.com/users/35758274
Promotion: we are happy to offer 10% off for reservation at any of our properties. Please message us on the website or Airbnb with the “KC Blog” in the text, and we’ll send them the coupon code.